Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Copenhagen

I've finally made some time to post. Let us rejoice and be glad!
Internet has been a bit tricky here. The places where I've stayed so far don't have connections, so I had to find a place where I could hang out and get online. The Laundromat Cafe is just that place, and a picture will be forthcoming.

I met up with my friend Clavs when I arrived in Copenhagen. We met through Couchsurfing.org--a great site--and he put me up for a few days.

This is Clavs' street, a beautiful place near the city center. You can walk to the Central Station from his house.

On my first night in town we took a trip down to the water to enjoy some drinks and listen to music






We passed along a pedestrian bridge that had access to this swimming hole. The next day, I passed by and saw this place filled with people enjoying the warm July sun.







We ended up next to a pavillion made out of a boat turned upside down and supported by sturdy wooden beams. A band dressed as pirates played some jazz, which was followed by a bit of storytelling care of our pirate friends to the left. He was accompanied by the pianist with a parrot on his right shoulder. Our swashbuckling narrator told the story of Captain Morgan and Don Juan, completely in Danish, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.


We passed this bicycle, wrapped in Christmas paper, and I thought it was cute. Hope you think so, too. There was a nice bicycle art installation near this bicycle, which I'll post very soon.






Of course one of the main reasons I am in Copenhagen is to investigate the bicycle infrastructure. This is a good example of little improvements that make a big difference. This gentleman is pushing his bike up a small ramp directly next to the stairs. This particular staircase has about 6 or 7 flights, and a little bike ramp made a big difference. Small investment, major improvement.


My first day in the city I walked nearly 10 miles. I didn't have a bike, so I beat the streets with the flat soles of my shoes. I came across a city bike (the free bikes all around Copenhagen) soon enough, but first I stumbled upon this beautiful cemetery.






It was among the most peaceful places I've been. There were dozens of gardeners tending the flowers, bushes and shrubs, and from what I understand the cemeteries are like parks here; free and open to pass through and enjoy.







Later in the day, I took the pedestrian street--the Stroget--to Radhuspladsen, the major square in Copenhagen right next to the town hall. It was amazing, and I have more picture to share soon, but this one is especially significant because I learned just how medieval McDonalds was.

Stay tuned for nerdy posts about the cycling culture in Copenhagen, including but not limited to close up shots of well made curbs and particularly well engineered intersections.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Anthony - Dave and I are following you on your trip along with our 2 Missouri based grandsons who have owned several Revolutions built bikes as they have grown up!

    Judy Drescher

    ReplyDelete